- Why is breast augmentation done?
- Who should avoid breast augmentation?
- What is the procedure for breast augmentation?
- Is submuscular breast augmentation safe?
Why is submuscular breast augmentation done?
Submuscular breast augmentation is a surgical procedure that involves changing the shape of the breasts and enlarging them by placing an implant below the breast s.
Submuscular breast augmentation is a surgical procedure that involves changing the shape of the breasts and enlarging them by placing an implant below the breasts. The muscles are spread apart to accommodate the implant, but the surgeon does not through them. This preserves the insertion of the breast muscles at the sternum.
Breast enlargement, in general, involves four techniques:
- Injecting inert materials such as silicone or paraffin directly into breast tissue
- Utilizing tissues from one’s body for injecting into the breast tissue
- Using a suction pump device for enhancing breast shape
- Implanting fluid-filled implants to augment breast size
Implants are round or teardrop-shaped and are filled with either silicone or saline solutions.
Who should avoid breast augmentation?
- Have severe breast sagging; a different cosmetic breast surgery (mastopexy) is preferred over augmentation procedure
- Have certain breast deformities that pose a risk
- Have severe medical conditions that may cause difficulty in the surgery
What is the procedure for submuscular breast augmentation?
Before the surgery
- You should consult a plastic surgeon before the surgery to discuss your expectations, details of the procedure, surgery preparation and post-surgery care
- You should detail the medical and medication history; especially, any breast-related disorders
- Your surgeon might require photographs before the surgery
- The surgeon marks your skin the day before to guide the surgery
During the surgery
- You would be given a local anesthetic to numb the site.
- An incision is made at the base of the breasts or around the nipple.
- The incised area is dissected, and the area between the two breast muscles is located.
- An implant is inserted into this area and filled with either saline or silicone solution.
- The incision is closed after placing the drains.
After the surgery
- A compressing dressing will be placed.
- The drains are generally removed 2-5 days after the procedure.
- You can resume your deskwork within one week, and slowly increase your physical activities by three weeks.
- Wear an underwire bra while performing heavy exercises.
Is submuscular breast augmentation safe?
Breast augmentation is one of the safest cosmetic procedures, producing soft and natural-appearing breasts.
Side effects of submuscular breast augmentation include:
- changes in sensation of the nipple
- asymmetry of the breasts