- Replace in a
Replace in a
Eggs are added to a cake to give it a structure and its fluffy texture.
Eggs are added to a cake to give it a structure and its fluffy texture. Eggs, when added to the cake have the following function:
- They act as binders by combining ingredients and holding them together.
- They trap air pockets in the food, causing the dough to rise while heating. This gives the baked goods their light texture.
- It gives moisture to other ingredients.
- They help to promote the flavors of other ingredients and browns when exposed to heat.
- They also enhance the taste as well as the appearance of baked goods.
There may be a few instances whereshould be d, such as:
- If the person has an egg allergy
- If the person is on a vegan diet
- If the person is concerned about the cholesterol content or avian/influenza outbreak
- If there are considerable fluctuations in global egg supply and pricing
However, fortunately, there are variousments for eggs, which include:
For eggs as binders, you canone egg with ingredients like:
- Half of a medium mashed banana
- One-fourth cup of applesauce
- One-fourth cup of pureed avocadoes or pumpkin
- Three and a half tablespoons gelatin blend (mix one cup boiling water and two teaspoons unflavored gelatin)
- One tablespoon of ground flax seeds with three tablespoons of warm water
- Xanthan gum
- One tablespoon of agar-agar and four tablespoons of boiling water
- Two tablespoons of mashed potato
- Two tablespoons arrowroot
- Three tablespoons aquafaba or canned bean liquid
- One tablespoon of soy lecithin powder
For eggs used as a leavening agent, you can replace one egg with:
- A mixture of one and a half tablespoon of vegetable oil with the same amount of water and one teaspoon of baking powder.
- One-fourth cup of carbonated water
For eggs as an emulsifier, you may replace one egg with soybean proteins. This will enhance the texture and viscosity of the cakes.
For eggs as a moistening agent, you may replace one egg with:
- One-fourth cup of mashed banana
- One-fourth cup (60 grams) of silken tofu (softer version of tofu due to high water content) to add moistness and viscosity
- One-fourth cup of apple sauce
- One-fourth cup of pureed avocado
- One-fourth cup of garbanzo beans
Other ingredients that can replace one egg include:
- Mixing one teaspoon of baking soda with one tablespoon of vinegar for fluffiness
- One-fourth cup (60 grams) of yogurt or buttermilk to add viscosity
- Three tablespoons of nut butter
- One-fourth cup of condensed milk
There are mixes available commercially that may be useful as an egg replacement, which includes:
- Chia gel and garbanzo seed mix: Combine one tablespoon of the mixture with two tablespoons of water to replace one egg.
- Potato starch and tapioca flour: Combine one and a half teaspoon of the mixture with two tablespoons of water to replace one egg
- Soy flour, wheat gluten, corn syrup, and algin: Combine one tablespoon of the mixture with three tablespoons of water to replace one egg.
Whey protein concentrate can be used in the recipes like pound cake, which requires the use of more than three eggs per batch. They are commercially available.